Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuna Noodle Casserole


I finally made Tuna Noodle Casserole for the first time today. It seems almost absurd that I haven't made it yet. I just used Campbell's Cream of Celery soup can recipe and voila!

Ingredients

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Celery Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup Birds Eye® Sweet Garden Peas
2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
2 cans (about 6 ounces each) tuna, drained
2 cups medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions

Heat the oven to 400°F. Stir the soup, milk, peas, pimientos, if desired, tuna and noodles in a 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Stir the bread crumbs and butter in a small bowl.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the tuna mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the tuna mixture. Sprinkle with the bread crumb mixture.

Bake for 5 minutes or until the bread crumb mixture is golden brown.


I didn't add the Peas. I'm not a picky eater by any means. I love my fruits and vegetables, but when it comes to peas.... I just don't like/care for them. I think they are pointless for any recipe. They just make recipes taste bad! Plus, they just remind me of baby food.

Tuna Noodle Casserole is definitely a staple for a cheap and quick dinner (less than 30 minutes!) and is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter day! With the casserole I also made a garden salad and fresh steamed green beans, both of which I prepared while the casserole was in the oven!

You can make this dish healthier by using a 98% fat free Campbell's Cream of broccoli soup, skim milk, and less or no butter with the bread crumbs. Be sure you are using tuna packed in water.

Cooking Light also has a recipe. This one may take a little more time. Also, the calories are still up there at 422 per serving, as well as 756 mg of sodium. It might just be better to stick with Campbell's easy recipe and Just follow the tips to make it lighter than the original recipe!

Thanks for reading!

Molly Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment